Professional Patient Advocate Institute Resource Center
These essential documents assist advocates in patient care, navigation and advocacy, as well as tools to help manage and sustain your business.
- Understanding HITECH and Meaningful Use: With the passage of the HITECH Act, professionals may be entitled to stimulus dollars when implementing health information technology.
- Patient Safety Complaint Package: If you recognize a patient safety issue, this packet will walk you through the process of filing a complaint.
- Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act.
- HIPAA Compliant Form: A document detailing the process if a HIPAA violation is recognized.
- Protected Health Information: A program from Health and Human Services to explain protected health information under HIPAA.
- Medicare Disclosure Form to Release of Information: A form used to advise Medicare of the person or persons an individual has chosen to have access to their person health information.
- Covered Entity Charts: A guide on how to determine which organization or individual is covered under HIPAA's Administrative Simplification provisions.
- HIPAA – Disclosures for Public Health Activities: A legal definition and interpretation of the parameters of the HIPAA Privacy Rule when a situation arises where an individual's health issues may affect the community at large.
- Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule: A complete and thorough explanation of the HIPAA Privacy Rule which assures individuals' health information is properly protected by the law when seeking medical care.
- Key Healthcare Insurance Terms.
- A Consumers Guide to Health Insurance: Complete with answers for individuals with questions about health insurance.
- 1-800 Medicare Billing Questions Fact Sheet: Contact sheet for individuals who have questions about the original Medicare billing process.
- Medicare Summary Notice, Part B: An example of a Medicare summary notice.
- Medicare Summary Notice, Part A: An example of a Medicare summary notice.
- Request for Medicare Hearing by Law Judge: A request form for use by party to a reconsideration determination issued by a Qualified Independent Contractor.
- Reconsideration Request Form: The Medicare reconsideration request form.
- Transfer of Appeal Rights: This form allows individuals to transfer their appeal rights to their healthcare providers for an item or service.
- Medicare Appointment of Representative: A form medicare users can use to appoint a representative for them to make requests, present information, elicit evidence and appeal on their behalf.
- Medicare and the New Health Care Law: An insight into Health care Reform.
- Medicare Extra Help: A guide explaining why a new change in the Medicare law helps individuals save more on prescription costs.
- Supplemental Security Income: Understanding Supplemental Security Income.
- 2010 Choosing a Medigap Policy: A Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare.
- Your Medicare Benefits: Your Medicare Benefits (Parts A and B).
- What Is Medicare? What Is Medicaid?: Medicare and Medicaid, their costs, coverage and everything they have to offer.
- Medicare and You 2010: Understanding Medicare rights, costs, coverage, health and prescription drug plans and health information technology.
Managing Your Business
- Avoiding Mistakes with Your Medications: The Joint Commission's guide for patients prescribed medication.
- Planning Your Follow-Up Care: Lists of questions for patients to ask physicians about medication and recovery care before they leave the hospital after surgery.
- Speak Up Know Your Rights: A patient primer created by The Joint Commission to help patients understand all of their medical rights.
- A Guide to Long Term Care Housing: A guide book from Centers for Medicare and Medicaid on Long Term Care Planning.
- Legal Guide for the Seriously Ill: A planning guide for those with chronic illness.
- Put it in Writing: Understanding Advanced Directives.
- Long Term Care Planning Guide: Importance of long-term planning.
- So Far Away: 20 Questions for Long-Distance Caregivers: Long-distance caregiving.
- Nursing Home Checklist: Tips for researching nursing homes.
- Guide to Choosing a Nursing Home: Step-by-step plan to assist family and friends in helping an individuals choose a nursing home.
Marketing Your Business
- Laws for Small Business Owners: The Federal Registry is the place where the federal government announces new laws and regulations. Read the latest updates for small businesses.
- 100 Green Small Business Tips: Today the trend is to "go green." Take time to read tips from other business owners who have been successful in going green.
- Guide to SBA Definition for Small Business: A handy toolbook from the Small Business Administration to understand terminology for small business.
- Home-Based Business and Government Regulations: A report from the Small Business Association on Home Based Business and Government Regulations.
- Small Business Resource for Growing a Business.
- Sample Client Contract: A contract is a binding agreement that secures your professional services. No legitimate professional should be without one.
- Sample Business Letter Introduction: When you need to make that key introduction, a well-crafted letter can help you achieve your goal.
- Sample Business Letter: A professional business letter is a vital document in your arsenal for a successful enterprise.
- Small Business Checklist: Critical steps when starting your own business can easily be overlooked. It is vital to your success that you to ensure your company is built professionally, legally and efficiently.
- Business Website Tips.
Patient Management Resources
- Marketing for Small Businesses: A primer from the Small Business Association on Marketing for Small Businesses
- Top Networking and Marketing Tips: Successful networking is a crucial aspect of the job for any business owner. Smart and consistent networking can help you find clients—and keep the business process moving forward.
- Sample Press Release: When you need to get the word out on a new service, event, contract or other newsworthy item, a press release can help you up your visibility.
- 5 Steps for a Successful Social Media Campaign.
- Successful Word-of-Mouth Marketing.
- The Next Level of Press Releases: Using SEO.
- The 10 Commandments of a Press Release.
- SEO & SEM: Demystifying Social Media.
Prescription Drug Coverage
- Managing High Blood Pressure.
- Diabetic Foot Care.
- Managing Diabetes.
- Tackling Depression.
- Managing Chronic Pain.
- Taking Care of Myself: A Guide for When I Leave the Hospital: A guide that helps you keep track of all the things you need to do when you get ready to leave the hospital; checklists included.
- Be Prepared for Medical Appointments: A checklist of questions for patients to ask their doctors during medical appointments
- Falls Risk Assessment: Prevention and Management.
- Impact of Medication Adherence: A research article from Drug Benefits on Medication Nonadherence.
- Medicaid Prescription Drug Rebate Program.
- My Medication List: A tool to provide clients to record medications in one place.
- Medicaid Prescription Reimbursement Info by State: Check this fact sheet for Medicaid prescription reimbursement rates by State.
- Updated Fact Sheet: Medicare Drug Benefit: Medicare Drug Benefit: enrollment data and an update on additional low-income assistance.
- Guide to Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage: A user's guide to Medicare Prescription Drug Plans.
- Patient Assistance Resource Directory: List of companies providing patient assistance programs.
- Bridging the Coverage Gap.
- Value of Project Management in Healthcare Research: A paper describing project management in health care research.
- The Transformational Model for Professionals in Healthcare: A model all professionals can use to improve professional development.
- A guide to value-based approach to the learning process.
- Transitions of Care for Professionals: Understanding barriers to care transitions.
- Transitions of Care for Consumers.
- Transitions of Care: What You Need to Know.
- Transitions of care from the patient's perspective.
- Transitions of Care Checklist .
- Elements of Excellence in Transitions: A checklist to enhance communication among health care providers, clinicians and caregivers. Includes extensive information about client and client systems.
- National Transitions of Care Coalition.
- National Transitions of Care Coalitions (NTOCC) Across the Continuum: An informational brochure about the National Transitions Of Care Coalition: The tools, resources, work groups and support organizations.
- Taking Care of My Health Care: A guide for patients and caregivers to take with them when visiting doctors and healthcare providers.
- Guidelines for a Hospital Stay for Patient, Family and Caregiver: A guide to safe and successful health care at the hospital during a patient's stay.
- Health Literacy Universal Precautions Toolkit: A toolkit designed to help medical professionals organize their practices and communicate better with patients to minimize confusion and ensure healthy outcomes
- Critical Communication: Using Plain Language to Reduce Medical Errors: A guidebook on the importance of effective communication in healthcare settings, complete with practical case studies.
- Closing the Quality Gap on Care Coordination: An evidenced based report from the Agency for Health care Research and Quality on Care Coordination.
- Understanding Root Cause Analysis: Advocates can use to explore unexpected events and outcomes to determine all of the underlying causes of the event and recommend changes as part of continuous quality improvement initiatives.
- NCQA 2009 Report on Health Care Quality.
- Dartmouth Institute report: Healthcare Spending, Quality and Outcomes.
- Closing the Quality Gap: A report from the Agency for Health Care Research and Quality on evidence-based quality projects that will help practitioners improve health and health care.
- 20 Tips to Help Prevent Medical Errors in Children: A list of questions about medicines, hospital stays, surgery and other steps you can can to ensure your child is safe from medical errors.
- 5 Tips to Safer Health Care: Ways you can help your family prevent medical errors.
- 20 Tips to Help Prevent Medical Errors: A list about medicines, hospital stays, surgery and steps you can take to ensure you avoid medical errors.
- Racial and Ethic Disparities In Health Care 2010: American College of Physicians Report: Impact on racial and ethnic disparities.
- 2010 Global Survey of Health Care Consumers.